Carnatic journeys

Friday, March 30, 2007

Nalinakanthi

Today, I count Nalinakanthi as a great friend. I am not a believer in having a list of favourites - favourite colours, cities, best friends and similarly ragams. But I cannot ignore that wonderful feeling of instant bliss when I listen to this ragam. There is something magical about it. On several occasions, I have been rejuvenated and my spirits uplifted purely by listening to some good Carnatic music. Music can certainly inspire and most definitely elevate. But with Nalinakanthi, I feel a special bonding, an instant connection that can bring me up from the depths of sadness to elation, even ecstasy.

Over the last year or so, I have most certainly grown a lot calmer internally in the face of life's many challenges, and music has been a support I have always fallen back on. And although, I single out Nalinakanthi for a special token of gratitude, I am very thankful to every other ragam too, for giving me joy, peace and sanity - when I needed them the most.

Coming back to Nalinakanthi, it is a janya of the 27th Melakarta, Sarasangi with the Aarohanam of S G3 R2 M1 P N3 S and Avarohanam of S N3 P M1 G3 R2 S. The fact that the ascent is not in the regular order of the notes with the G3 coming before R2 possibly contributes to the magic of Nalinakanthi. Apparently, this form of rearrangement is called a vakram, and perhaps is more common than I would know. And though the compositions in this ragam are fairly rare, I am not the first to be mesmerised by this ragam. The late great GNB apparently loved it too. His composition Nee padame gathi in this ragam is a wonderful song. A couple of film songs too are based on this ragam, which suggests to me that the magic of Nalinakanthi appeals to a lot more than a few like me.

1 Comments:

  • It should then please you to know that this weekend I bought a 3-CD concert of Ganesh Kumaresh in which the RTP is in Nalinalanti and the pallavi line goes Nee Padame Gati Nalinakantimati.

    By Blogger PS, at 7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home